World Food Day 2023: "Water is Life, Water is Food. Leave No One Behind"
As a global leader in flavor, we recognize that water is an essential agricultural commodity. This year's #WorldFoodDay theme is "Water is Life, Water is Food. Leave No One Behind," and we're pleased to share some of the ways we're reducing our global water use and supporting clean water and sanitation initiatives in many of the communities from which we source.
- In vanilla-growing communities in Madagascar, 36 wells were constructed in 12 villages to improve access to clean drinking water, in partnership with the German Corporation for International Cooperation, GIZ.
- In Vietnam, black pepper growing communities have been supplied with water filtration systems, both for household use and for four schools. At the Ta Thi Kieu Kindergarten, the school clean water project has had a positive impact on more than 400 students, teachers, and nearly 500 households living near the school.
- In collaboration with our in-country partner, we funded the construction of a water tank in the Koimbani region of Comoros, where vanilla is grown. The tank directly benefits 1,500 community members.
- In red pepper growing regions of India, we have funded the installation of nine reverse osmosis clean drinking water facilities benefiting an estimated 30,000 household members. In addition, we have supported a pilot watershed project in Tamil Nadu aimed at increasing the water table to recharge water sources and mitigate the impact of water scarcity.
- To learn more about how we're addressing global water challenges and reducing our environmental impact, go to the Purpose-led Performance section of our website.