How we make charitable contributions
It is the responsibility of the Charitable Donations Committee (CDC) to make recommendations for donating directly from the company. The members of the Committee are appointed by McCormick’s management committee and are authorized to make donations in accordance with corporate policy and guidelines.
In order to receive consideration from this Committee, an organization must be (1) nonprofit, (2) organized and operated exclusively for charitable, scientific, literary, educational or other humanitarian and animal welfare purposes, (3) supported in whole or in part by charity and (4) have tax exempt Sec. 501(c)(3) or Sec. 501(c)(4) status from the IRS.
The company’s objective is to improve the quality of life where we live, work and source. The focus of this corporate involvement is toward the following areas:
- Education – (1) higher education and (2) elementary and secondary schools that have focused programs designed (a) to prepare students for the workplace, (b) for students with special needs and (c) for our diverse communities.
- Health and Wellness
- Environment and Habitat
- Culture and the Arts
Organizations given priority consideration by the CDC:
- Exist in communities where McCormick employees live and work
- Have McCormick representation on their respective Board of Directors or leadership team
- Have McCormick employees committing their time and serving as volunteers
The company receives far more requests than it has monies to dispense. To ensure that the donations are used in accordance with corporate policies, McCormick does not donate to:
- Labor organizations
- Political organizations
- Elementary and secondary schools (except as detailed above)
- Daycare centers
- Travel funds
- Advertising or Promotional activities
- Organizations that do not comply with our non-discrimination policy
- Organizations that might in any way pose a conflict with the company’s goals, products or employees.
An organization seeking charitable contributions from the company must certify that it does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, age, religion, disability, pregnancy or any other protected category under federal, state or local law.
How to Apply
The Committee meets regularly to review all requests. A written response is provided for each company decision. McCormick will only consider one contribution request per nonprofit, per year.
All charitable requests must be addressed to the Chairperson of the Corporate Charitable Donations Committee (CDC) and must contain the following:
A one-page written summary statement that includes:
- A mission statement of the organization and/or project
- The organization’s goals and objectives
- The organization’s program/project needs
- The program/project fit with McCormick’s donations guidelines
- Key deadline dates
- Specific McCormick employee involvement with the nonprofit
- The organization’s name, address, telephone number and website and the name of a contact person familiar with the proposal.
- If it’s a first time or multiyear request, please include the following information on the formal request:
- Current operating budget; program/project budget, if applicable; sources of financial support; amounts committed or pending; and a statement of administrative, fundraising and general expenses
- A copy of the organization’s certificate from the Internal Revenue Service as a Sec. 501(c)(3) or Sec. 501(c)(4) organization
- A list of officers, board members and affiliates
- A personal interview with an official of the organization may be required by one or more members of the CDC as a condition of making a contribution. If the request is made by a person in an outlying location, the interview can be accomplished by local management or by telephone.
At McCormick, we encourage good citizenship and responsiveness to the needs of the communities in which we operate. We are committed to our role as corporate citizens to support, to the greatest degree possible, those community organizations that provide services to our employees.
Organizations should email their specific request to: email@example.com
You may also send via USPS to:
The Charitable Donations Committee
Attn. Karen Steelman
McCormick & Company, Inc.
18 Loveton Circle
Sparks MD 21152-6000