HUNT VALLEY, Md., Dec. 2, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- McCormick & Company (NYSE: MKC), a global leader in flavor, today released its McCormick® Flavor Forecast® 2015, highlighting eight enticing trends that will shape the future of flavor. Now in its 15th year, the much-anticipated report drives flavor innovation and exploration throughout the food industry and in kitchens everywhere.
Reflecting the rapidly increasing demand for bolder, more intense flavor experiences, the McCormick Flavor Forecast 2015 pinpoints adventurous global tastes on the rise, like Japanese 7 Spice (Shichimi Togarashi), as well as an appreciation for the robust flavors developed in slow-simmered dishes from around the world. The report also showcases new ways to elevate pantry essentials to starring roles, like smoking spices and herbs or pairing sours with coarse salt.
Over the past 15 years, the Flavor Forecast has predicted trends that have changed the way people eat at restaurants and cook in their home kitchens. Even the products found on retail shelves today were impacted by trends forecasted in this industry-leading report.
"Many early trending flavors in past reports have become favorites of today. Take chipotle chile, for instance," said McCormick Executive Chef, Kevan Vetter. "When we first identified this chile pepper as a flavor to watch in 2003, many people couldn't pronounce it. Today, it's a household name. Pumpkin pie spice, sea salt, coconut water and cocktail-inspired flavors have seen similar success, taking over restaurant menus and grocery store shelves. The flavor trends highlighted within our 15th annual Forecast promise to do the same."
8 Flavor Trends to Watch
Identified by a global team of McCormick chefs and flavor experts, these trends offer a taste of 2015 and beyond:
- Global Blends On the Move – Japanese 7 Spice (Shichimi Togarashi) offers a new kind of spicy heat, while Shawarma Spice Blend lends warm, spiced flavor to grilled meats and more.
- Middle Eastern Mezze – These distinctive dips and spreads, packed with zesty herbs and seasonings, offer an approachable and delicious introduction to a vibrant global cuisine.
- Sour + Salt – Combining coarse salt with surprising sours like pickled ginger, sour cherry, dried mango and lemon zest results in a lively finishing flavor that lends brightness and texture to dishes.
- Smoked Spices – Smoking spices and herbs deepens their flavor and aroma, adding richness to meals and drinks.
- Umami Veggies – For a fresh way to savor the tempting "fifth taste," look no further than naturally umami-rich veggies like mushrooms, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and nori.
- Liquid Revolution – Fresh purees and juices blend with bold spices and herbs to intensify sauces, pasta, dressings and more - providing a fun, delicious way to enjoy an extra serving of fruits and veggies.
- Flavor Worth the Wait – Lift the lid to discover the rich flavors from recipes around the world that meld aromatic spices and comforting ingredients into mouthwatering slow-cooked meals.
- Cookies Reimagined – Classic spiced cookie flavors take new form in decadent, imaginative desserts that redefine "milk and cookies."
Visit FlavorForecast.com and pinterest.com/mccormickspice for innovative recipes, images and more ways to explore this year's top tastes.
About Flavor Forecast
Since 2000, the annual McCormick® Flavor Forecast® has identified top trends, insights and ingredients driving the future of flavor. Created by a global team of McCormick experts — including chefs, culinary professionals, trend trackers and food technologists — the Flavor Forecast inspires culinary exploration and innovation around the world. Visit FlavorForecast.com to learn more.
McCormick & Company, Incorporated is a global leader in flavor with more than $4 billion in annual sales. McCormick manufactures markets and distributes spices, seasoning mixes, condiments and other flavorful products to the entire food industry – retail outlets, food manufacturers and foodservice businesses – in more than 125 countries and territories. Since Willoughby M. McCormick founded the company selling root beer extract in 1889, McCormick has demonstrated a strong commitment to the communities in which it operates and the planet as a whole. Innovation in flavor and a clear focus on employee engagement and product quality has allowed McCormick to grow its business globally and become the flavor leader it is today. Visit mccormick.com,mccormickcorporation.com and Facebook.com/McCormickSpice for more information.
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20141202/161904LOGO
PDF - http://origin-qps.onstreammedia.com/origin/multivu_archive/ENR/FX-CG80915-1202-1.pdf
SOURCE McCormick & Company